Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Day 82: What is an idea?

156:5 - 157:32

The first paragraph of this section has an account of a case of dropsy which required tapping.Mary Baker Eddy worked with this patient by attenuating the medication then changing over to a placebo. The patient improved even though no medication entered her body. But the patient didn't know the pills were placebos. So it was a mental drugging of a kind, not physical.

The first line I marked was:

In metaphysics, matter disappears from the remedy entirely, and Mind takes its rightful and supreme place. 
I've been thinking a lot about how matter is the dream which isn't really there. The five senses are powerful and hypnotic. I want those five senses in waking life as much as dream life. But are they real? I've also been thinking about the idea of a thing recently. If I didn't have sight, how would I perceive my existence. I don't mean on a physical level but on a spiritual level. How would I perceive any ideas? What would an existence of all the ideas be like?

The other one I marked is:

...Life is continuous and harmonious.
Harmony is a funny idea. It's easily hidden under the seeming details of life: the little judgements, and thoughts in my own mind. I've been standing porter at the door more actively lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please contribute a positive, honest comment.