Thursday, March 11, 2010

Day 70: Theology & Faith

131:12-133:7

Mary Baker Eddy started a new section of the chapter titled Theology. I think of it as organized religion. She used both the Jewish established theology in Jesus' time as well as the Christian churches of her own time. This is a difficult task. The role of organized religion is to stand guard over the principles of the faith. Not embrace or expand the theology to deviations or complete changes of thought.

There are three items in these paragraphs that caught my attention. The first:

recounting his works instead of referring to his doctrine

I think we all would like to be able to do this on a personal level. Somehow my works don't stand up to my faith.I need to work on this, more than just this journal.


The second:

blessed is he, whosoever shall no be offended in me

Offended is an interesting word to use here. I looked up this phrase and found a lot of different wording to think about. Doubt is one of the words that came up as a different meaning for offended. I wonder if this is a carry over from the reluctant guest. It feels like it but it's not exactly right.

The last one is:

unity of God, -- the divine Principle which brings out all harmony
I know this is probably something that would make more sense to me if I had a better understanding of either religion in the time of Mary Baker Eddy or of Jesus. Why is God not unified? Is that the right word? Anyway, what else would he be and why? This isn't rhetorical -- I really don't know.

But that it brings out all harmony -- this is the mathematical equation again. There is only one God and he is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please contribute a positive, honest comment.