Monday, May 17, 2010

Day 127: What is the model before mortal mind?

247:10-249:11

I'm getting some wonkiness from the above link. It is technically correct but the spirituality website doesn't seem to like it all the time - fair warning.

Today's reading is a continuation of yesterday's but instead of dealing with time in terms of decay and death, these pages focus on the Spirituality of immortal man - the intangible qualities of man we strive for: grace, goodness, etc.

When I was a child and into my teenage and college years, these pages seemed as though they we re talking to someone other than me. Grace? Comeliness? These weren't qualities I was interested in obtaining nor did I see their value:

Comeliness and grace are independent of matter.
I have matured and found I gravitate to people with these qualities. I would add happy (or calm or a balanced life) and the center of harmony in that person's circle of friends:
the unchanging calm and glorious freedom of spiritual harmony
The last thing I underlined:

We must form perfect models in thought and look at them continually, or we shall never carve them out in grand and noble lives. Let [1] unselfishness, [2] goodness, [3] mercy, [4] justice, [5] health, [6] holiness, [7] love -- the kingdom of heaven -- reign within us...
Whenever I read the above section, I stopped at grand and noble.That was for fairytales and movies and heros. But now I have a different idea about who can be grand and noble and someday I might get there. The list of attributes helps me recognize what I need to work on -- uh, most of them. But I'm working on the model in my thought continually.and standing porter at the door of thought. Reading S&H every day helps with that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please contribute a positive, honest comment.