Thursday, May 6, 2010

Day 116: The Civil War and The Senses

225:5-227:13

The paragraph on page 226, line 5 got me to thinking about when the Civil War happened in Mary Baker Eddy's history. I believe it happened during her time studying Mesmerism before she was healed right after the civil war. Please correct me if I'm wrong. So to me, the Civil Way, if I lived then, would be a major deal. So I can see where she refers to it but until now, I never cared where she was during the war or what she was up to. So now I'm interested. Which biography would have the best coverage of her thoughts on the civil war during the civil war?

Another thought I had reading these two pages was the point of the two pages: the tyranny of the material senses and our ability to end that tyranny. When I think of C.S., and the big picture words, I think of sin, sickness, and death. You can find those three in that order throughout the book. Then of course, there is evil and error -- two more popular words to work on. But the material sense have always seemed like the unassuming and blameless ideas in the mix. They are just in the wrong place at the wrong time, so to speak. They didn't do any thing bad, just not entirely good. But what these two pages say to me is that the senses are part of the problem and are not blameless.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please contribute a positive, honest comment.