Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Day 13

18:1-20:5

As I have written here before, it's been a while since I read S&H. Some chapters I have a good memory of or at least a feeling for when I see the title. All I think about with this chapter is Jesus.

When I started reading on page 18, I felt like I was coming into a conversation where the most important part, the part that set the stage, had already happened. MBE dives right into atonement and reconciliation.

It feels like she was responding to some argument posed by someone else at an earlier time. I don't have much academic religious instruction. Maybe if I went to a Seminary, this would be one of the first courses. But here and now, it doesn't feel right. I find myself struggling for a place to hold onto in the passage, something that pops out at me and connects back to Prayer, the previous chapter.

The only thing I find is the idea of "practical repentance, which reforms the heart." But that's a stretch. How do I go from prayer through works to atonement or at-one-ment? That is, both in a practical and spiritual sense, what I'm trying to do. I just wish I heard the rest of the conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please contribute a positive, honest comment.