Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Day 143:Ideas are tangible and real

 278:1-279:32

Today, my spiritual growth seems to be challenged by my current situation. I know this is a matter of elevating my thought, but still, it is a challenge.

Today's reading talks about matter and spirit and which is real and which is not. That's suitable as most of my day I wonder [1] what is real and/or [2] what is real.

The first thing I underlined I broke into two different ideas, so marked:
[1] Spirit is the only substance and consciousness recognized by divine Science. The material senses oppose this, but there are no material senses, for matter has no mind. [2] In Spirit there is no matter, even as in Truth there is no error, and in good no evil. 
So no matter. Got the philosophical gist of this but what does that really mean. My teacher once told me he stared at a tree trying to see that it wasn't there. He probably didn't say it exactly like that but the irony isn't lost on me. If I could think in just the spiritual realm without any thought for the sensual/physical realm, I understand I would be a different person. I can do it for a time but to do it always -- not even close. Some thing I'm working on.

The next thing I marked was:
Ideas are tangible and real to immortal consciousness, and they have the advantage of being eternal. 
This struck closer to home because ideas are my core business as an adult professional. But are ideas tangible? What would the spiritual sense of touch be? Or is spiritual touch one of those ideas that has a figurative meaning but not a literal?

And then what about immortal consciousness? Is that me or is that God? Or is it a we thing?

At this point in my life, I understand spiritual sense as an idea over there far away from me but somewhere I want to get to. Ideas however are closer to home and more concrete to me (if ideas can be concrete - maybe that's how they are tangible). Any way, this chapter is getting deep and to the point where I'm feeling a bit lost.

I should mark this as the point where I need to return for further study.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please contribute a positive, honest comment.