Saturday, February 27, 2010

Day 58 - Science: Theory & Proof

107:1-109:31

Today, I'm going to change up how I title each entry in my journal. I hope this will help people get the gist of the reading selection, as I read it. I'm also going to post-pend each entry with the text of the selection. Not sure if this is kosher with The Mother Church so this may not last long. I'm doing it so you can read both the selection and my journal entry at the same time and place. I'm using this Gutenberg site as my source.
[Update Aug. 27, 2010, removed text, added link to S&H on spirituality.com]

These three pages cover in more detail how Mary Baker Eddy came to discover Christian Science. How she was healed, then spent time understanding the the healing, then looking for a provable method to repeat that healing.

I had to look up apodictical. I'm surprised how few words I have to look up now, since I've been looking them up for years - the definitions do eventually stick.

The thought that struck me was the idea of "God with us." It must have been fresh and new back then. Now, with books, TV shows, and movies about this very idea -- it isn't a far stretch to believe it. MBE talks about how the idea seemed so "antagonistic to the testimony of the physical senses." She goes on explain the divine law unfolding to her that matter possesses neither sensation nor life. This last thought is still out there, not widely excepted or understood in popular culture.

The line I marked:

Christian Science reveals incontrovertibly that Mind is All-in-all, that the only realities are the divine Mind and idea.
She goes on to say that healing is a demonstration of the divine Principle:

This proof once seen, no other conclusion can be reached.
These three pages are a melding of physical history of discovery and the spiritual understanding of that discovery. I'm not sure where I'm going with that. I'm going to let it soak over night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please contribute a positive, honest comment.