Thursday, February 18, 2010

Day 49

89:32-91:21

Today's two pages felt like a higher concept than dealing with spirits as the chapter implies. I see there are only 8 or so pages left in the chapter so maybe Mary Baker Eddy to heading toward the wrap-up. The higher concept I read was about imagining what our experience would be without matter, just reflecting God. That's not exactly how MBE phrased it but that's what I got out of it. Here how she says it:

Have you ever pictured this heaven and earth, inhabited by beings under the control of supreme wisdom?

There are religions or belief systems that focus on this higher concept with their own flavoring. I must admit, this is another subject in this chapter that I wonder if she is lightly touching on only here or I never got that it was covered throughout the entire book. I'm gaining a lot of respect for this chapter.

Here is another way to convey the higher concept:


The admission to one's self that man is God's own likeness sets man free to master the infinite idea.

Free to master the infinite idea? That's huge. That's not saying let's talk about Jesus or here is how to heal. This concept is way beyond that. This is, to me, the end game of the search - or the beginning.

But there is also a nice smaller thought, almost a stepping stone to the higher concept:

Divest yourself of the thought that there can be substance in matter, and the movements and transitions now possible for mortal mind will be found to be equally possible for the body.

This is wild - movements and transitions for the body? I think from a mortal perspective we know what the human body can and cannot do. The Olympic coverage this week in Vancouver shows us in stop motion time.

So as I continue to read through the rest of the book, I'm going to keep these new higher ideas in mind to see if I can spot them any where else.

What do you think? Higher concepts or was she saying something else?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please contribute a positive, honest comment.