Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Day 40

72:1-74:2

These two pages deal with spirits. Mary Baker Eddy defines spiritualism (spirit/ghost):

"Spiritualism calls one person, living in this world, material, but another, who has died to-day a sinner and supposedly will return to earth to-morrow, it terms a spirit." 
I'm going to cite passages out of order but stay with me. I think there is something important in these two pages. She refutes the above definition of spiritualism by providing her understanding of Spirit.

"God controls man, and God is the only Spirit."
She is making a distinction in these two pages I didn't notice before between good and bad/sin. The issue at stake is that a spirit or ghost will communicate with someone to control that person. I'll call this the bad ghost theory. A bad person can die then come back as a spirit and control a living person. She talks about how bad cannot enter good and that God, the only Spirit, can't enter into a person.

"God, good, being ever present, it follows in divine logic that evil, the suppositional opposite of good, is never present."

This I get, it's not different from any other chapter. It also feels redundant until I get to the next sentence:

"In Science [Christian Science], individual good derived from God, the infinite All-in-all, may flow from the departed to mortals; but evil is neither communicable nor scientific."
The idea that good derived from God may flow from the departed to mortals is something new in CS for me. 

I'm not a believer in bad ghosts. Using mortal logic, if you believe you have free will, then you have free will enough to not be controlled by bad ghosts or spirits. But good ghosts or spirits? Or is it just departed but not returned? Am I trying too read to much here. What does the first part of that sentence above mean?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please contribute a positive, honest comment.