Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Day 33

58:5-60:3

These two pages are about the relationship between husband and wife. I bristle at the idea of "domestic economy." In so many ways, she led a life different from the one on these two pages.

The first chapter has a quote that I changed into an equation:

"Unselfish ambition, noble life-motives, and purity, - these constituents of thought, mingling, constitute individually and collectively true happiness, strength, and permanence."

Then the equation:

unselfish ambition +
noble life-motives +
purity


=

true happiness +
strength +
permanence
Again, a correlation between marriage [any relationship] and happiness.

Other relation quotes:

"There should be the most tender solicitude for each other's happiness, and mutual attention and approbation should wait on all the years of married [relationship] life."

I can think of several relationships with friends and family where I haven't given my share of attention. I need to work on that.

"Tender words and unselfish care in what promotes the welfare and happiness of your wife [friend, business partner, etc] will prove more salutary in prolonging her health and smiles than stolid indifference or jealousy."

"After marriage [friendship], it is too late to grumble over incompatibility of disposition. A mutual understanding should exist before this union and continue ever after, for deception is fatal to happiness."
I named the last chapter Jesus; I think I'll call this chapter "Relationships Equal Happiness." What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please contribute a positive, honest comment.