Friday, February 26, 2010

Day 57

105:22-106:29

Today is the last day of this chapter. The last two pages end on a bang. Mary Baker Eddy has gone from hypnotism at the beginning of the chapter to people using their mental powers to an evil end. I'm sure there's a general word for this but it escapes me right now. I see the anti-hero trying to persuade the person to climb on the train tracks while the train is about to run them over. What is the name of that bad guy? I don't mean the CS term but the average word you would use to describe this person. Drives me nuts when I can't remember a word.

Back to the point.

So the last two pages, Mary Baker Eddy  says:

to go from the use of inanimate drugs to the criminal misuse of human willpower, is [1] to drop from the platform of common manhood into the very mire of iniquity, [2] to work against the free course of honesty and justice, and [3] to push vainly against the current running heavenward

 I don't think anyone reading this book would try to achieve mental powers with the intent of harm. I'm a glass half-full type, meaning I'm optimistic people just want to be good. That said, there is a reason MBE came up with a Rule for Motives and Acts stated in the Church Manual. It is a slippery slope and once you get on it, it can go downhill quickly.

Meaning...

We all just want what's best and we, each of us individually, think we know what that is. And we guide people to that point, thinking we are doing the right thing. The 'we' I refer to isn't listening to the still small voice in this example or angel thoughts, or reflecting God. But that's hard to see or hear when our own self-will gets in the way. At least, that's the way it is for me.

MBE ends the chapter with two lists, one as the works of the flesh and one as the fruits of the Spirit. These are dramatic, big, in-your-face lists so it is easy to say I want to good list, obviously. But it if the subtler forms of the works of the flesh list which is the tricky part. Wrath and strife are the two that have shades of grey I need to keep an eye out for.

How about you? Anything on the works of the flesh list that has some grey for you?

I want to give this chapter a nickname but Mental Malpractice seems too CS-ish. Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please contribute a positive, honest comment.