Friday, February 12, 2010

Day 43

78:1-80:5

These two pages are still discussing is error of spirits. Mary Baker Eddy uses strong words to describe the error involved and her opinion on the matter is easy to figure out. She mentions wires and electricity so this must have been something associated with Spirits in her day. I'm not sure if that still goes for today's current thought on spirits. She felt that people looked to spirits as oracles communicating with the living. I know several people that feel that way.

The passages I marked aren't representative of her thought but mine which seems to wander off these days.

    "Communications gathered from ignorance are pernicious in tendency. "
  
That is a short sentence but has a definite punch to it. I wonder if she had a specific instance in her experience in mind when she wrote that.

    "Science must go over the whole ground, and dig up every seed of error's sowing. "
  
I don't have anything to say but it caught my attention.

    "Giving does not impoverish us in the service of our Maker, neither does withholding enrich us."
  
This is something I constantly have to deal with in my own thinking. That there is more than enough and that being obedient in the first step won't harm me in the second.

My goal for today is to look for ways to give in the service and not withhold.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please contribute a positive, honest comment.