Friday, April 30, 2010

Day 110: Spiritual Sense

213:16-215:10

Today's pages work on spiritual sense as opposed to material sense. We know what the material or physical senses are so I'm not going to cover that. And if someone said "he had a spiritual sense about him," you would get the meaning of "spiritual sense." But what about a different view of spiritual sense -- one that takes the idea of  the physical senses and provides a correlated spiritual sense? That's what Mary Baker Eddy tries to do.

But the idea of spiritual sense from Day 108 is still fresh in my mind -- a conscience, constant capacity to understand God. And then I see this today:
Spiritual sense ... conveys the impressions of Mind to man, then being will be understood and found to be harmonious. 
And a little farther down:
Spirit's senses are without pain, and they are forever at peace. Nothing can hide from them the harmony of all things and the might and permanence of Truth. 
So I looked up spiritual sense in the concordance to get more ideas to work with. And holy moly, there were so many references. I know this has happened at least one other time -- where I'm surprised by how many references to a word there are in the concordance. I can't remember what word it is and I can't search my own blog to find it, so it may just be spiritual sense. I went through the S&H references for spiritual sense. One stood out to me on page 505:20.
Spiritual sense is the discernment of spiritual good. 
This explanation I understand and I think I'm pretty close with my idea of seeing Man as the spiritual reflection of God in Day 108. I think the trick is not seeing man that way when times are good and all is well but when life appears bleak and unharmonious. I use the word appear meaning as it appears to mortal man -- not how it is to God. How it is to God is spiritual good. Good. All the time.

I think the chapter title, Footsteps of Truth, might be right on. Perhaps no need for a nickname.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please contribute a positive, honest comment.