Monday, September 20, 2010

Day 261: The Pathway before Me

523:14-525:6

In this reading, Mary Baker Eddy uses the term “tribal god.” The idea is that a small group of people could devise a deity to serve some purpose is interesting because in a non-religious way, people do that all the time. We construct beliefs to serve our purpose and explain our circumstance. Kids are great at this because they are so fluid in their determination. One day they like hotdogs, the next they don’t. One day the rainbow is made with crayons in the sky by a giant, the next is a fairy with watercolors. I’m going to start looking for tribal gods in my home and thought and show them the door.

Mary Baker Eddy also asks the questions “Is this addition [material man] to His creation real or unreal?” and “Does Spirit enter dust, and lose therein the divine nature and omnipotence?”

I’ve been thinking about about real and not real, dream and not dream. The idea that my spiritual journey right now it looking for the infinite path, as opposed to taking my first steps on the path is very interesting. I came to this thought from the last few days of mulling over

Even eternity can’t reveal the whole of God.

You might think it doesn’t make a different if I’m looking for the path or on the path but it does to me. I need to know that spiritual progress is an obtainable goal. And while I feel, this year, I’ve made progress – baby steps at the most. I’m not saying I’m discouraged, just that the work to be done is so much more than I expected.

I’ve felt that way about a lot of things this year. I should have started sooner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please contribute a positive, honest comment.