Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Day 291: God and Error

585:9-587:8

Yesterday, I marked two definitions, Creator and Devil. Today, two more which seem the same words as yesterday’s words but are defined differently. First is:

GOD. The great I AM; the all-knowing, all-seeing, all-acting, all-wise, all-loving, and eternal; Principle; Mind; Soul; Spirit; Life; Truth; Love; all substance; intelligence.

The second is error. This has, in Christian Science, always been my definition of the opposite of God:

See chapter on Recapitulation, page 472.

A side note, I wish I had this book as an editable and mark-able e-book. I would completely change the index, cross-reference the glossary, and note in-text definitions. Each complete read through, though, I would mark clean otherwise since I’m at a different place each time. If this is already available, please leave a comment below so I can link it up and buy it.

And the text from Recapitulation:

Question.--What is error?
Answer.--Error is a supposition that pleasure and pain, that intelligence, substance, life, are existent in matter. Error is neither Mind nor one of Mind's faculties. Error is the contradiction of Truth. Error is a belief without understanding. Error is unreal because untrue. It is that which seemeth to be and is not. If error were true, its truth would be error, and we should have a self-evident absurdity--namely, erroneous truth. Thus we should continue to lose the standard of Truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please contribute a positive, honest comment.