Monday, July 26, 2010

Day 200: Tenacity of Belief

395:6-397:7

These few pages of instruction about how to deal with a patient are not new to me but today I read them in a new light. The challenge I'm having with my daughter is only physical in a control sense; she isn't ill but her behavior has changed for the worse and she says she can't control it. I read this section know the issue was about physical behavior and that I was the 'nurse' of my children. The instructions Mary Baker Eddy gives are just as important for my task as they are for disease:

the healer should speak to disease as one having authority over it, leaving Soul to master the false evidences of the corporeal senses and to assert its claim over mortality and disease.
An ill-tempered, complaining, or deceitful person should not be a nurse. The nurse should be cheerful, orderly, punctual, patient, full of faith, -- receptive to Truth and Love.
Avoid talking illness to the patient. Make no unnecessary inquiries relative to feelings or disease. Never startle with a discouraging remark about recovery, nor draw attention to certain symptoms as unfavorable, avoid speaking aloud the name of the disease. Never say beforehand how much you have to contend with in a case, nor encourage in the patient's thought the expectation of growing worse before a crisis is passed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please contribute a positive, honest comment.