Monday, March 22, 2010

Day 81: Faith in Drugs

153:25 - 156:4

The pages are about the majority faith in drugs for curative properties. The idea the a collective thought among people having power is...I don't know what the word it, startling isn't right. For the most part, I work through issues in C.S. on one track of thought, perhaps not a deep track, but a dependable line. Then I read something and think, I'm missing something. I can see there is more but how do I get to it. I had that again today.

The first line I noticed is:

Neither sympathy nor society should ever tempt us to cherish error in any form, and certainly we should not be error's advocate.
Most of my everyday friends are not C.S. and do talk about their sickness, and pain as if it is normal. I battle with myself as to how to handle this. I think it is uncaring to avoid the conversation altogether, nor do I want to disrespect their own beliefs but what do I say? My non-C.S. parents-in-law have come to the point in their life where their bodily well-being is the conversation of the day. This is beyond annoying, even from a non-C.S. perspective. I just want to get up and leave the room but I'm not the most chatty person anyway so I come off as distant regardless of the topic. Then to add this slant to the conversation -- I appear uncaring. That isn't the case but I just think their train of thought is off.I don't think another trip to the doctor or another prescription is the answer. How do I respect my own beliefs and not offend theirs?

The next thing I noted was:

percentage of power on the side of this Science must mightily outweigh the power of popular belief in order to heal a single case of disease 
The idea of 'percentage of power' caught my attention as well as the idea it is required for a single case. Collective thought, percentage of power...this sounds like a all out battle of good versus evil. No that's not right. Mortal mind versus Mind is more like it. And the idea that me, the individual is part of the collective and contributes and has power, not just for my own spiritual purpose but for someone else's single case of disease. I feel inspired and accountable for that nameless, faceless other person, or people -- humanity as a whole.

By the way, any questions you find in this blog are not rhetorical. If you have an idea from a C.S. perspective, please share.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please contribute a positive, honest comment.